Go Around!

Any general information you wish to share.
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Go Around!

Post by shackler781 »

I am not sure why, but I rarely execute a "Go Around" in FSX. I recognize the importance and have performed the maneuver in real-world flight training and, at times, based on real conditions on approach. Why is it that I always want to "stick it" in FSX? Sometimes I think it may be that I don't want to take the time to perform the maneuver. Though I review missed approach procedures, I rarely study them. Is it that I am not setup to perform the maneuvers-radios, mcp, etc? Sometimes I know I just want to see what happens if I go for it. Yesterday coming into EGLC with a STEEP approach, I found myself off-center. Instead of going around, I tried to land the E190 (which I am flying for the first time in years) and ended up skidding around a bit. I recognized that there was no real risk, so I went for it.
I think I need to get into a better habit of prepping for going around. GAs can be as fun as the initial approach after all. It takes a change in mindset and procedure.

What about you? Do you prep for GA? When was the last time you executed one in the last month? Six months? Year? I am curious about this... :oops:

Shawn
SAX781
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Go Around!

Post by David Vega »

Good post. I do prepare for the possibility of a GA when briefing the approach. I use Radar Contact for ATC, and though better than default ATC, there are times when an AI jet sneaks in or do not vacate the active as fast as they should. In those instances, ATC tells me to go around. Once I decided to ignore ATC and land anyway, thinking that the jet ahead of me had initiated its takeoff roll and I could just land behind it. When I reached the gate and asked for the Radar Contact critique, I was told that ignoring a GA was a serious offense and that I could loose my certificate. Pretty mean for simulated ATC, but since then I go around when I'm told. :D

Recently I was landing in Denver, and the forecast told me there were gusting winds. I was about 300 feet above the runway when I hit wind shear. At that moment I should have gone around with maximum power, but instead decided to pull back on the yoke. :oops: Stupid mistake. Every virtual passenger complained about my almost crash landing. :(

Arriving late should not be a reason to justify not executing a GA when needed. This time I was flying as a passenger from Boston to St Louis, for real. We had departed Boston very late, and some passengers were very worried about not making their connecting flights. Since I've done that approach so many times, simulated and real, I saw we were too high on approach to 30R. Sure enough, the pilot did a go around. As we were on downwind the pilot said we did a go around because "... the winds had changed." That sounded like a lame excuse to me, but, hey, what do I know. :wink:

We should be ready to go around on every landing, either because ATC tells you, or because, we, as virtual PICs make the safe decision to do so.

Dave
sax702
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

Thanks, Dave. It makes me feel a bit better that others sometimes do the same. I am going to start prepping better for them...
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

Good information! Thanks.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by chriszdc »

one of my 'rejected' pireps was because I didn't go around in the 777 at Boston, hit windshear around 400ft and it was a HARD landing. Also a 'tad' short, like in the grass.....
Command Captain Chris Saunders
SAX 411