IFR Question

Any general information you wish to share.
shackler781
Captain
Captain

IFR Question

Post by shackler781 »

The other day I was flying into Kodiak (PADQ) with the CRJ7 and, due to weather had a go/no-go moment on arrival.
The ceiling was 600' and the winds were 040 @ 19kts. The only published approach was for runway 25, which would have exceeded the max tailwind for the CRJ7. I noticed circling minimums and considered 36, but the lowest descent altitude for CAT C was 740' with 2.5 miles visibility. Though visibility was 4 miles, I couldn't legally get low enough to circle. I did descend below the published altitude (don't fire me, Dave :wink: ) and landed without incident. Of course, this wouldn't have been an option in real life, I don't think.
I am not an instrument rated pilot, so my question to the group is: would a real operator had to have diverted to an alternate? Would there have been no legal way to land at PADQ at that time with that aircraft?
I appreciate the insight and will see you out there...
Shawn
SAX781
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: IFR Question

Post by David Vega »

Assuming the destination airport was above minimums when you departed and it went below minimums afterwards, I'm think the thing to do was to divert, but, like you, I'm a fair weather pilot. I will defer to Marty Becker or Xavier Hutin for the IFR answer.

Either way, sounds like it was a good tense moment on the landing. :D

Dave Vega
sax702
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

For FAR Part 121 operations, check out 121.651 - Takeoff and landing weather minimums: IFR: All certificate holders.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SI ... 1&rgn=div8
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
airifr
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by airifr »

Shawn for 121 operator, like 135/91, you would have to divert, because you CANNOT go below published minimum, unless you have distinctable runway identifications at DH/MDA, so if you're still in the clouds at DH/MDA the visibility minimums dont need apply so you cannot circle.Even if you were good with minimum at DH/MDA and proceed the circle but during pattern you reenter some clouds and loose contact with runway approach end identifications you'll need go miss/divert. The only time you're allowed to go below DH/MDA even when published minimums are not met is to allow the aircraft's descent inertia to transition to climb where of course there's always some minimal altitude loss.

....And the question for tailwind exceeding CRJ limit doesnt apply as you didnt have minimums for ILS25 anyway neither for any..

But you could for LNAV MDA, and exceed CRJ tailwind limit by only about 2KT for 10KT limit, mag variation 16E :wink:
Xavier
SAX789
chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by chriszdc »

You can never descend below the DH/MDA unless you have ground contact or runway/approach lights.

Circle to land minimums are usually higher because of obstructions.
Command Captain Chris Saunders
SAX 411