Why Can't I find the Airport Listed in the Flight Plan?

FAQ's and information.
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Why Can't I find the Airport Listed in the Flight Plan?

Post by David Vega »

Fellow Captains,

From time to time we see a pilot not finding a departure or destination airport ICAO code from one of our flights. This is because either the airport ICAO code has been updated in the real world since FSX was published, a newer airport was built and the old one closed, or some other reason that prompted us to change the destination. For example:

ORBS to ORBI. Baghdad International Airport (ORBI) used to be called Saddam International Airport (ORBS). Why not keep the original ICAO code? It would be difficult, if not impossible, to look for charts, weather reports, etc.

VTBD to VTBS. Suvarnabhumi Airport (VTBS) is also known as (New) Bangkok International Airport. The one we used to have as a destination is Don Mueang International Airport (VTBD) also known as (old) Bangkok International Airport. Like most other major airlines, we switched to the newer airport.

FAOR to FAJS. O. R. Tambo International Airport (FAJS) used to be called Johannesburg International Airport and before that as Jan Smuts International Airport (hence the airport's former ICAO code, "FAJS").

Since FAJS is the busiest airport in South Africa, why do we have a B747 flight to Cape Town? Should we serve Johannesburg vs. Cape Town from Atlanta?

So what do we do for new airports that have no default scenery in FSX, like VTBS? Easiest solution is to download and install freeware scenery from the Internet. For example, there is a very good freeware rendition of VTBS in the avsim.com file library. Look for file named: fsx_vtbs_v1.5_rs.zip.

There are also newer sceneries with the updated ICAO airport code that replace the default airport in FSX. Search around, or ask here.

Dave
sax702
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Why Can't I find the Airport Listed in the Flight Plan?

Post by David Vega »

Found another one! KYUM, Yuma Airport in Arizona, changed its ICAO in 2008 from KYUM to KNYL. Flights 9022 and 9023 would be affected. A great freeware scenery for FSX just came out with the updated ICAO code. It is by Shehryar Ansari / Brian Kircher, file name: nyl2014x.zip. You can find it in avsim.com file library and elsewhere. The scenery will add KNYL to the FSX airport list. KYUM will still be listed but without any runways.
chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Why Can't I find the Airport Listed in the Flight Plan?

Post by chriszdc »

ya, FAA released the restriction on KNxx airport codes. KNxx were reserved for US Navy installations before.
Command Captain Chris Saunders
SAX 411