Why New Flights for SunAir Express?

FAQ's and information.
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Why New Flights for SunAir Express?

Post by David Vega »

As some of you already know, we have been working on a new flight schedule. And though we are very close to be done, there are still some hurdles we have to clear. But first, let me tell you about what to expect.

For the most part, the flights we fly today were the original flights crafted by the airline founders. Each flight was given a number, and sets one or more flights were called "lines" and also given numbers, like 409, where each flight in the line was desinated as 409A, 409B, etc. This matches very well how a real airline dispatchers designate lines of time that include several flights. The pilots then bid for the lines they like. Starting on the late '90s, we added new flights/lines to the schedule without proper planning. I can claim part of that.

Not long ago, we took a survey of things you would like to see in SAX. One of the things that stood out the most was that the airline needed more pilots. We thought that to get more pilots we needed to make SAX appealing to prospective pilots. To make SAX more appealing, we needed to keep sticking with our original quest for realism, but at the same time modernize and be competitive with other virtual airlines. Our slogan of being the first virtual airline wasn't enough. Diversifying our support to more than subLOGIC's ATP and supporting MS Flt Sim wasn't enough. We had to modernize and advertise.

You've noticed we have a new Pilot Operations Center (POC). This wonderfull tool relieves hub chiefs from the drudge work of grading flights and computing statistics, and frees them to work on other improvements. It offers you the option to make your own "line" or rotation; a set of flights where the first flight leaves your hub airport, and the last ends at your hub airport. And the list of improvements for the POC is still long. Expect to see dispatch forms with number of passengers, baggage loads, etc.

One thing we noticed is that the existing flights could make more real-life sense by ensuring there was a virtual airplane to fly the flight. So, the new flights will be associated with a tail number. We would be able to tell how many aircrafts does SAX operates. We also know that real airline hubs do not have all the hub airplanes sleep at the hub; not enough space, so expect that some of those tail numbers will start and end their day at a non-hub airport, though they'll pass through their hub during the day.

What else? The Short 360 is gone. Skylink does not own hubs at GSO and BOS, they'll fly out of all hubs. Expect plenty of B1900 and CRJ2 flights from all hubs.

I'm sure there are other changes in the flight schedule, but this post is long enough. Who's working the new schedule? Chris, Neil and myself. My thanks to Chris and Neil for their tremendous effort.

You'll see the schedule soon. Though it's almost done, we still need to get it approved by upper management. :D

More to follow.

Dave Vega
Pylet
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Pylet »

Sounds exciting and i'm up for the challenges.
Command Captain Lyle Kirgan
ATL Hub Chief
SAX 0272
B737NG Home Cockpit Builder
Al O'Brien
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Al O'Brien »

It sounds great to me. I use the POC and it definitely makes the whole experience more ineresting by mixing up both lines and aircraft. Inserting airfields other then hub ones makes it even better.
Al sax067
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

If you visit the Pilot Operations Center, and list the airports, you'll begin to see some of the new destinations our new flights will reach.

Regards,

Dave Vega
chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by chriszdc »

I'm typing my fat fingers away :wink:

This experience has also given me a new appreciation for the original schedules. It is extremely time consuming to make these schedules. Hats off to the original founders of the airline and I hopw my contribution will make us even better.