How do I get There On Time?

FAQ's and information.
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

How do I get There On Time?

Post by David Vega »

One of the bragging rights of any airline is its on time performance rating. They use this figure to try to convince you they can take you there "on time." If you like to see how the real airlines rate, check out http://www.transtats.bts.gov/OT_Delay/O ... Cause1.asp. But, what about Sun Air Express?

If you haven't noticed, there's a new figure showing on the Pilots Operation Center (POC) showing the airline on time performance. This figure is computed based on the pilots on time performance. So you see, your on time performance affects the airline on time performance. And this brings us to the topic, how do I get there on time.

Sun Air Express flights duration are based on what we call block time. It's measured from the time you push back from the gate until you arrive at your destination gate. After all, this is the figure that would tell passengers when they would arrive to their destination. You can currently find the flight block time on the flight information that shows after you perform a route search in the POC.

We measure block time in decimal format. For example, one and a half hour is represented as 1.5. If you divide and hour into 10 parts, each would be 6 minute long (60/10 = 6). So, 1.2 is equal to 1 hour and 12 minutes. You can always take the decimal part and multiply times 60. For example, 0.9 times 60 is 54 minutes. So, record your pushback time, add the block time to it, and you will know your estimated arrival time to the destination gate. Our system gives you a window of 12 minutes on either side of this estimated arrival time to be counted "on time." For example, line number 240A, STL->ATL, has a block time of 1.4. If your pushback time is 18:40, then we can estimate that we have to be at the destination gate at 20:04. Since we really have a 12 minute window, to be counted "on-time" we could be at the gate as early as 19:52, and as late as 20:16.

But how to I manage my flight so that I arrive within my "on time" window? Any ideas? Feel free to chime in.

Dave
Last edited by David Vega on Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pylet
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Pylet »

This is exactly how I do it also. And if you are flying a jet equipped with an FMC/CDU, it'll give you your landing time usually on the progress page and you can adjust your cruise speed to keep those numbers within that allotted block of time for an on-time gate arrival.

One thing to watch for is the strength of the winds aloft. That jet stream can really make it interesting for you so keep an eye on it. If anyone has any questions or concerns in this area just drop a note here and we'll try to help you out.
Command Captain Lyle Kirgan
ATL Hub Chief
SAX 0272
B737NG Home Cockpit Builder
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

What if you do not have an airplane equipped with a flight management computer? :( Remember the old subLOGIC ATP days? This is when a proper flight plan becomes handy. Having wind direction, wind speed, course, and true air speed allows you to estimate ground speed for each segment of your flight (see separate FAQ posting on finding winds aloft speeds). Having the estimated ground speed for each flight segment allows you to estimate the estimated time of arrival. As you cross each waypoint, you can calculate the actual ground speed (use distance and time), and thus recalculate your estimated time of arrival. Having this figure tells you if you should increase or decrease your ground speed.

Another way to get your actual ground speed is using flight simulator's GPS. With it, you could use the method described above to computer your estimated time of arrival.

Let's make an effort to arrive as close to on-time as possible. Would love to see that Airline On-Time Performance rating go up and up.

Dave
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Re: How do I get There On Time?

Post by shackler781 »

I tend to arrive a bit early (within on-time allowances) and have been trying to figure out how to find the jet stream speeds pre-flight. Is there a place to find these speeds before I take off? How do I read the report?
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

The manual way would be to determine the most optimal cruise altitude for each segment of your flight. For the USA you can find winds aloft data here: http://aviationweather.gov/products/nws/winds/. There are commercially available programs that get this information for you and propose an optimal flight level. For example, I use FSBuild (http://www.fsbuild.com) to plan my flights using SunAir company routes. FSBuild reads winds aloft data from some of the most popular weather programs available. I use Active Sky Advanced (http://www.hifisim.com/), but there are others. With this information FSBuild suggests best flight level. In a real airline you would get this information from a flight manager or a dispatcher (they also use computer programs to calculate it). Another way would be to visit http://www.fltplan.com, log in with user id: sax, and password: pilot, and plan your flight there. This great site also provides winds aloft data along your route of flight. Best of all, it's free.

Let's see what other methods are there, anyone else wants to contribute?

Dave Vega
SAX702
chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by chriszdc »

I use Active Sky also - take the time to put in a flight plan - I also use FSNavigator in the flightsim, easy to plot the flight then export to a Flightsim plan, then import to ActiveSky, then you get very good numbers on the winds aloft reference time enroute
Command Captain Chris Saunders
SAX 411
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

I am unfamiliar with how to read the winds aloft data. I use fltsim.com for some planning. Where to I look for jetstream data on fltsim and how do I read the data? Any help would be awesome!
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by chriszdc »

this is an ActiveSky wind readout

FL030: 328/13 (7.70) FL060: 002/04 (0.80) FL090: 062/01 (-1.60)
FL120: 279/13 (-8.90) FL180: 280/30 (-20.30) FL240: 277/55 (-28.60)
FL300: 278/69 (-42.10) FL340: 278/70 (-52.00) FL390: 280/70 (-60.40)

FL030 = 3000ft so 3000, 6000, 9000, 12000, 18000, 24000, 30000, 34000 and 39000

then winds 328/13 wind 328 at 13 kt - wind is reported as blowing from, if you are facing into the wind you would be pointed at 328 degrees.

number in parenthesis is outside temperature in Celcius so for 3000, it is 7.7 degrees C.

used to be able to get the winds aloft at the National weather service, not sure now.

FAA wind readout at work same as above would be

03 3313 06 3604
09 0601 12 2813
18 2830 24 2855
30 2869 34 2870
39 2870 45 7705

I added the 45000 one, we do get that, and I made it >100 kts to show the readout we have. So, 03 = 3000 and wind is - first 2 digits are direction 33 = 330, they drop the last digit and round as appropriate, last 2 digits are speed in knots. > 100 knots has different rule, you add a 5 to first digit of direction to indicate the speed is +100, so 7705 = 270 at 105kt. 8135 = 310 at 135.
Command Captain Chris Saunders
SAX 411
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

I recently purchased fsbuild but am having one helluva time figuring out how to export the flight plan to fsx and fs2004. I do as best I can using their instructions but never see a pln file when I try to load a flight plan. How exactly do I get the flight plan over to the sim for use? Your comments are most appreciated!!!
Shawn
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

Verify that your paths are correct. These are under the Options menu item. Also, be sure that you have selected what type of export you want from the Export To... dropdown menu.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Suggest looking at the FSBuild tutorials. I learned lots from them.

http://www.fsbuild.com/fsbtut.html

Dave Vega
SAX702
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

Many thanks. I was trying to save to the FS documents folder as opposed to the program file. Does FSbuild provide winds aloft info or just routing?
Shawn
btw-you guys have all been awesome over the past few months as I've tried to figure out the ins and outs of flying/planning. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

FSBuild will use winds aloft data from several weather programs. Check out the documentation. It is in one of the FSBuild folders.

Dave Vega
SAX702