VOR nav / outbound radial

FAQ's and information.
Nate R
Captain
Captain

VOR nav / outbound radial

Post by Nate R »

OK im sure this is a newbie question. I'm working on joining the Virtual US coast guard along with flying here so i get some helo flying and reg va flying. For one of the training missions im told to do this...
1. File a local VFR flight plan on Squawkbox.
2. Choose runway appropriate for the wind and depart Mobile to the east direct Pensacola VOR (117.20) at 1500 ft. MSL
3. After NPA VOR, turn west direct the Gulfport VOR (109.00).
4. After GPT VOR, follow the 195 radial outbound.
5. About 45NM from GPT, descend to 500 ft AGL and overfly a small island.
6. Climb to 2500 ft and tune the Semmes VOR (115.30) and track directly for it at 2500 ft MSL.
7. As you approach the SJI VOR, begin pre-landing checks, and call MOB Tower or Houston Center for a VFR landing at Mobile.
-------------------------------------
My only problem is that i cant use fs nav for the small plane that im using and I forget how to follow the radial outbound in step 4. I think its like flying over the vor and than tuning my nav to 195 deg. since its outbound. Am i correct? Also If it was an inbound radial it would be the receprical right? Anyway if anyone has any good links for tutorials or can help me out plz let me know! THANKS!
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

Nate:

The rule of thumb when flying VORs is to set the OBS so that it is close to your heading.

In your example, lets say the the Gulfport VOR is directly West of the Pensacola VOR. After passing the Pensacola VOR you set the OBS to 270 and track outbound on the 270 degree radial (To-From Flag = From). With no wind, your heading is 270.

Halfway, you tune the Gulfport VOR. You want to track inbound on the 090 degree radial. Leave the OBS set to 270 degrees. The To-From Flag = To. Again your heading and OBS setting is the same. By doing this, you always turn towards the CDI needle for corrections. You could set the OBS to 090 degrees and track inbound to the Gulfport VOR on a heading of 270. Then you need to correct away from the CDI needle.

This can sometimes be confusing. It's like flying a Localizer Back Course Approach. Corrections are done away from the needle. Make the mistake of correct towards the needle and you fly away from the approach course. This can be deadly.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
Nate R
Captain
Captain

Post by Nate R »

thanks for the help marty!
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

I'm sure that FS9 (and FSX) has flight lessons on VOR navigation. :wink: