Time to Talk Acceleration?

FAQ's and information.
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Time to Talk Acceleration?

Post by David Vega »

No, I don't mean the FSX addon with the same name, but using accelerated mode like x2 or x4, etc while flying for SAX. Is it OK? The old timers know this isn't a new question, but every now and then, specially when we get a wave of new pilots, the topic resurfaces. The current edition of the pilots manual states that it is "discouraged" but not prohibited. Why "discouraged" :?:

If you haven't noticed, we do not have a formal check ride for each airplane since we currently lack the technology. You send us a video of your flight, we take a look at your log, and assume/simulate that you have a certain level of knowledge and experience to fly the particular airplane. We expect that you acquire that knowledge through time, but not accelerated time. Please notice that we also have "ranks" for every one.

The ranks denote seniority. That seniority is acquired through regular time spent in the flight deck, not accelerated time. Time well spent learning the particulars on each airframe type, time learning how to deal with emergencies, schedule issues, etc., similar to an actual airline captain, which, by the way, do not fly in accelerated time.

So, yes, not prohibited, but please think twice before hitting the acceleration button. If all you want is to amount hours as fast as you can so you can fly larger airplanes, consider joining a second VA with different goals, priority and philosophy. As long as you remain with SAX, take it "normal." Come up the ranks one non-accelerated hour at a time.

Return fire welcome.

Dave Vega
SAX702
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Time to Talk Acceleration?

Post by Marty_Becker »

Very well said, Dave!

If it become too much of a problem, a minor change to the POC's receive flight report code can easily reject any accelerated flight.

SunAir Express does have an easy alternative for pilots with low hours to build up their hours. We developed the SunAir Express - Jim flights using the BBJ/BBJ2 to allow pilots with the B737 to fly longer routes and build hours more easily. Some will say, "I cannot spend 6 - 11+ hours in front of the computer for these flights." FSACARS and several aircraft addons allow the aircraft to be paused X number of miles from the destination or at the top of descent. This is an accepted option, since no one is excepted to be at their computer for these long hours. The downside to this is that the weather can have an adverse affect on the un-monitored portion of the flight in regards to time and fuel management.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

Should the situations where pilots land without any remaining fuel or land with descent rates greater than -500fpm+ be grounds for either discarding the flight report or not crediting the hours flown?
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

Yes it can be discouraging, especially for those who are not inclined toward utilizing patience but, flying requires skill and only
through hours of practice can we attain it.
Not all of us can have or afford the privilege of flying in the 'real world' so, for those who dream of flying every day, operating an aircraft within a structured
and disciplined virtual airline can be just the ticket.
If you have always dreamed of piloting an aircraft, freed from the bounds of the earth and liberated to explore
a whole other environment -- only through diligence of practice and self-discipline can we truly be able to simulate what it is to be an aviator. Desktop or not.

Whether at 4000' agl or FL410, turbine or non; your flight starts not at the ramp but, in your heart.

And one final thought.... it's not the size of the aircraft that matters but how you use it (pun intended). :D

Fred Myers-SAX779
Pylet
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Pylet »

Maybe we should come up with a "Pilot Proficiency" rating. I know we all get ranking based on hours but that can be falsely gained by the acceleration modes. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a Pilot Proficiency rating based on the following factors:

Use of Real Time
Landing fpm rate
On-timeliness
Amount of fuel remaining (this will show that the pilot did good preflight planning instead of just filling it up and hitting the gas.)
Proper flight levels used for direction of flight
...and whatever that could be captured in the FLTREP that would be useful in showing proficiency.

Showing how many hours you can rack up is one thing but lots of hours doesn't necessarily mean you are a good pilot.

Just a thought on how to show the true "realism" simmers.

"Happy Easter"
Lyle
Command Captain Lyle Kirgan
ATL Hub Chief
SAX 0272
B737NG Home Cockpit Builder
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

Pylet wrote:Maybe we should come up with a "Pilot Proficiency" rating. I know we all get ranking based on hours but that can be falsely gained by the acceleration modes. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a Pilot Proficiency rating based on the following factors:

Use of Real Time
Landing fpm rate
On-timeliness
Amount of fuel remaining (this will show that the pilot did good preflight planning instead of just filling it up and hitting the gas.)
Proper flight levels used for direction of flight
...and whatever that could be captured in the FLTREP that would be useful in showing proficiency.

Showing how many hours you can rack up is one thing but lots of hours doesn't necessarily mean you are a good pilot.

Just a thought on how to show the true "realism" simmers.

"Happy Easter"
Lyle
All great ideas Lyle. The trick is to code the POC to assimilate the data from FSACARS.
Dave Blake - SAX212
Dave. S
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave. S »

What would happen to manual fltreps ? i,m sure we,ve all suffered fsacars failure before, so would our flights only count if a full view of flight was reported, do we say only fsacars reported flights will be logged ?
Dave SAX743
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

The POC does record manually reported flights. Just follow the prompts and enter the information requested.

Dave Vega
SAX702
Dave. S
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave. S »

Yes but sometimes not everything is filled in, i.e fuel, & if its in black, i cant see it :D
Dave SAX743
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

That's what "manually" means, it doesn't read the data from your flight simulator as FSACARS does. You must enter it manually. So, do keep track of your fuel consumption, how many passengers, etc.
chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by chriszdc »

I posted in another thread, but will again.

checkride software that is FREE
http://www.fs2crew.com/cart/products/FSCheckride.html

an idea, haven't really looked at the logistics.

Don't have an issue with using some kind of proficiency thingy - remember I crashed last year :shock: :cry:
Command Captain Chris Saunders
SAX 411
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

Could you enlighten me... crashed.. computer, real-av, simulated... ? :) I'm rubber-necking, I know. :o
chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by chriszdc »

simulated - a SunAir B763

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=666
Command Captain Chris Saunders
SAX 411