Descent Rate Descrepencies

FAQ's and information.
Jim Tilley
Command Captain
Command Captain

Descent Rate Descrepencies

Post by Jim Tilley »

I am growing more suspect about the descent rate calculations. I flew flight #596 (OMDB - OPRN) in my trusty B767 on two occasions back to back. I emulated the first flight with the second flight pretty much to a "T". My first descent rate was recorded as -365. The second descent rate was recorded as a whopping -846..... It's a conspiracy against us "snow birds". JT
JT
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Descent Rate Descrepencies

Post by David Vega »

Looks like you forgot the can of grease on your second flight. :D
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

Jim,

First, what is your interpretation of what is being recorded? Is it the average descent rate from cruise to touchdown? From your post, I think this is what you are asking about. In fact, FASCARS and FSFK record the current rate of descent at wheel touchdown. ( ie. -50 being a very soft landing; -800 being a carrier landing/controlled crash ) FSFK has the ability to provide the POC with more data points in regards to vertical speed; average descent rate, average climb rate, max descent rate, average descent rate, touchdown rate, etc. FSACARS, which you use to report to the POC, only provides the vertical speed at touchdown. The touchdown rate is what you see displayed in the POC for both FSACARS and FSFK. The FSFK report contain more data because it has the ability to record and provide that data to the POC.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
Jim Tilley
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Jim Tilley »

Thanks for the input Marty....I guess I need more work on my landing skills.....I'll keep on tryin.... JT :)
JT