How to Create a Flight Plan File for MS Flight Sim

FAQ's and information.
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

How to Create a Flight Plan File for MS Flight Sim

Post by Dave Blake »

First find the best route and then have a tool that would convert that route into a Microsoft Flight Simulator plan file. The tool would automate having you to enter a flight plan waypoint by waypoint. Here is just one option. This option is FREE.

For this example SAX flight #10 KTPA to EBBR is used and it will included the North Atlantic Track (NAT).

1. Go to Route Finder at http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ (this link is also found on the SAX Dispatch Form and SAX Web Links Page).

2. On the Route Finder form enter KTPA on "Departure," and EBBR on "Destination".

3. Select "High" on the drop down "Level" menu.

4. Ensure "Use SIDs", "Use STARs", and "Ease Transitions" are checked on the check boxes. Since this flight crosses the Atlantic, "Enabled" is selected on the NATS drop down.

5. Click the "Find Route" button. This will generate a route of flight found on the bottom of the next page. It may look like this:
KTPA DCT LOULO J55 CRG J121 ORF VS1 HTO J55 BOS J575 TUSKY N77B YQX NATU DOLUL DCT EVRIN UL607 KOK STAR EBBR
Highlight this route and copy it to be used later.

6. Now go to http://www.simroutes.com (This link is also found on the SAX Web Links page).

7. Select the link "Generate Routes" on the upper part of the page.

8. On the following page, enter KTPA on "Departure" and EBBR on "Arrival".

9. Paste the route you copy from step 5 into the "Route" field.

10. Edit the pasted route by removing the departure airport, in this case KTPA, and the word SID preceding it if it is included with the route you pasted. Also delete the arrival airport and the word STAR preceding it if is is included with the route you pasted. After this the example route would look something like this:
LOULO J55 CRG J121 ORF VS1 HTO J55 BOS J575 TUSKY N77B YQX NATU DOLUL DCT EVRIN UL607 KOK

11. Now edit any mention of a North Atlantic Track (NAT) to use the following format NAT_[TrackIdent], such as NAT_X, NAT_R, NAT_G. Our example route uses NATU for the North Atlantic Track "U". Change that to NAT_U by adding the underscore.

12. Double check your work and Click "Generate Route" button.

13. The next web page shows you the generated route, including a map below. On this page you can optionally select an aircraft type on the "Aircraft Information" drop down menu.

14. Now you can generate and download your flight plan file by selecting the appropriate format from the drop down menu next to the "Download Flightplan" button. When you are ready pressing the "Download Flightplan" button and save your flight plan file to the folder you use for saved MS flight plans.

15. You are now ready to load the plan you just saved using MS Flight Sim. Once you load the flight plan modify the cruise altitude as needed.

This is just one tool used to create MS flight plan files. If you have one please share how you create your flight plan files.
Dave Blake - SAX212
Al O'Brien
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Re: How to Create a Flight Plan File for MS Flight Sim

Post by Al O'Brien »

I was looking for a substitute for FS Navigator to use in FSX and came across a free program called Plan-G (http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index ... pic=2205.0) and was interested in knowing if anyone had tried it. My one big knock on FSX is it doesn' t work with FS Navigator
Al Sax067
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Al,

I've used Plan-G, but for simulated general aviation flights. There's actually a replacement for FS Navigator for FSX called FSTramp. It's made by the same guy that made FS Nav. Keep in mind that there are some limitations, like you must use FSX in windowed mode when using FSTramp. You can download it and try it for 20 flights before it looses some of its functionality, unless you purchase a license.

I haven't used it, so I can't really comment on it. Suggest searching the internet for "FSTramp" to see what others are saying.

Dave Vega
sax702
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Very good thread Dave Blake. Great idea!

I often use the freeware version of vroute. It has built in routes that can be exported to flight simulator. Basically one clicks on the "route" button, then I usually picked the "advanced" tab, put int departure and arrival airports, and it displays all the routes available. Clicking on "show" the route displays all sorts of information about the route, etc. I then pick the "Export" tab followed by completing information about the flight, i.e., date, departure time, altitude, etc. At the bottom there is "Export format" to select the many formats, including Flight Simulator X and 2004. One thing I like these routes is that the validate them with the real world, specially the ones in Europe.

Dave Vega
sax702
Al O'Brien
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Al O'Brien »

Thanks for the info Dave, I will give vroute a look.
Al