POLL: Monthly Flight Rotation

Announcements for all Pilots and Officers.

Would you like to be given a monthly flight rotation to fly?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Yes.
42%
No.
58%

Total votes: 19

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

POLL: Monthly Flight Rotation

Post by Dave Blake »

How would you feel if the POC assigned each pilot a monthly flight rotation?

This is currently only an idea and to do this would require a great deal of work to program the POC. However, I feel this idea is worth exploring.

When I joined SunAir Express back in 1993 pilots were given a weekly assignment to fly by their hub chief. This weekly assignment was usually two or three average length flights or one longer flight.

Now pilots are allowed to choose their own routes to fly whenever they want or use the POC's "Rotation Maker". This is really not a very realistic airline procedure but it is convenient for the pilots and it eliminated some management work load.

One idea would be to allow each pilot to decide one or more types of aircraft along with a minimum number of flights and or flight hours that they wish to fly each month. Then each month the POC would assign a realistic rotation based on the pilot’s preferences. When the pilot completes the monthly rotation then they may choose to fly extra routes from the schedule if they wish. At least this is one idea of how it could work.

Due to the large amount of work involved I do not want to purse this unless the idea is welcomed by the pilot.

Your feedback is welcomed and important. Thank you.
Dave Blake - SAX212
Jim Tilley
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: POLL: Monthly Flight Rotation

Post by Jim Tilley »

That is a great idea Dave...I would enjoy being assigned flights...I'm all for it... JT
JT
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

I would also go for an assigned rotation each month.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
kenyapilot
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by kenyapilot »

We have assigned flights when I first joined and I liked it. This is the way an airline works and makes everything more realistic.

Roy
SAX680
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

We have heard from some pilots that are in favor of a monthly flight rotation.

How about hearing from some pilots that are not in favor of a monthly flight rotation. What don't you like about the idea?

Realist airline operations is what SunAir Express was founded on. A monthly flight rotation could add to the realism.
Dave Blake - SAX212
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

Maybe it would be a good idea to show what a monthly rotation would look like (e.g. time required to complete it, aircraft)
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
jww12112
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by jww12112 »

I enjoy flying with SunAir. Its been alot of fun. I understand the intention to keep it real as possible. I have to say I enjoy being able to fly the routes as I wish. Sometimes I like to fly some routes continually because I paticulary like to fly to or thru certain cities. If we must add more regs to the program, then whatever. We so far have had the option to make our own rotations as we wish. Just because I haven't created a rotation does not mean I haven't flown them. Sometimes I will fly all the flights of a particular plane and treat it as a rotation. I was good with that. Sometimes I like to fly to certain cities when real weather in realtime is bad. Should I have not met the OBLIGATION of flying my route or routes for the week, I would need to fulfill them and then fly my route. Maybe I dont have the time to complete my assignment to then complete my flight I really wanted to fly. Then maybe my real weather has moved on. Sometimes my work weeks get busy and get in some flights when I can. Do we have the consideration of being able to opt out or is it all in or all out? I would like to keep my options open for my routes. You asked for an opinion from a Nay. I just want OUR Airline of SunAir to be fun to fly for, I guess without too many policies, regs, and procedures. Understand the need for structure and realism, otherwise whats the point, but as some past pilots have voiced, and left our airline over, beware of overkill......it can deter the enjoyment. Love flying with SunAir.................

Jeffro/SAX766
14 NM-- SE-- of KSTL
jww12112
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by jww12112 »

One additional thought......... Our airline is a pilots airline. We the pilots, have been given the privilege per its officers some input as to how our base of operations are carried out, ie. its polls for particular opinions of thoughts, per ideas and issues that arise during the course of business. How awesome is that.... For the realism of carrying out everyday operations of FAA regs, ok, got it. Those are rules to be followed. All airlines will follow those, of course, or should. I know sometimes they don't....scary...... But I'm sure, as for many businesses, there are some variations of procedures and business policy that vary from one airline to another. Should we want to stay in the realm of reality, why would we be any different. If we want to do something different than other airlines, say for examle, not have assigned rotations, then maybe we could be the first not to have them. Hypothetically, pilots could come in sign up for what routes they want to fly, (we already technically do this). Unrealistic it may be, at least in todays business, I'm only making a point. Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean you have to. What once was considered strange, odd, unorthodox, sometimes became the norm. Again, its our airline, and per the past polls on many issues, its officers has let the majority rule, which again is what makes our airline unique. Many awesome things have come into our world by someone doing something no one else dared to do, wanted to do, or just be different. Again, keeping it fun, keeping it real, the airline is what we make of it.........
Love flying with Sun Air............ :D

Jeffro/SAX766
14-- MN--SE of KSTL
JohnnyT
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by JohnnyT »

I voted No to Monthly Flight Rotation. Why? Because I do not have time to fly regulary every month.

But I understand those of you who want the flying to be as real as it gets and so on. The debate in this mather has been tremendous in this Forum. Sim speed or pause the simulator at 200NM before the destination (start the long haule flight, go to bed and sleep and then land when you got time). As real as it gets??? Hmmm. :?

My suggestion is that those of the SAX pilots who want a monthly rotation can get it. For the others, fly what you want and when you got the time.
Maby it is possible to make those monthly rotations to be automated. Just make a choise on POC that you want a Monthly Rotation this month, and you will get it. The next mounth maybe you want flights of your own choise. Just a thought.

Johnny
SAX715
RichW
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by RichW »

I've been flying with SunAir Express for a long time and enjoy it very much. The standards set by this VA have made me a better virtual pilot and I appreciate that. I'm in favor of policies that improve pilot skills and add realism to the flying while still making it fun.

I voted against monthly flight rotation because I didn't feel it met that criteria. Certainly from an administrative process rotations are closer to the real world but I think, at least for me, it detracts from the fun part. Fun for me is deciding "where do I want to go today" and "what kind of weather do I want at the other end". Given my limited time to the hobby I would not have as much freedom for those kinds of choices and still meet my rotation obligation.

I want to add that I think it is great that SunAir's management continues to come up with fresh ideas and then gives the pilots an opportunity to voice their opinion.

Thanks Dave and the entire staff for making SunAir Express the best VA

Richard
Richard Walls
SAX746 - ATL Hub
flyer007
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by flyer007 »

Hey everyone,

While I like the idea of monthly rotations and it is something we did in the beginning, I must vote "no" at this time. For me, I don't always have the time to do an assigned monthly rotation, so unless we come up with a way to opt-in or opt-out, I'd rather not see this implemented right now, and the reason is purely selfish. But in the spirit of SunAir Express, I'm willing to give it a try again, if the majority wants to go that route again.

Back in the day, you would be given what we called, a "line of flight" which was one to three segments depending on flight length. Once you got them done, you could fly extra lines if you wish to build flight time.
James Bond, Pilot #0089
Senior Captain
SunAir Express Virtual Airlines
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

I want to thank all the pilots that participated in this poll and for their feedback. Everyone's feedback is very valuable in determining what is best for the VA.

The idea of a monthly flight rotation will need more thought before anything will be done about it. So for now the idea will be set aside until more time can be spent on it.

Thanks again.
Dave Blake - SAX212
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

I really appreciate the new ideas everyone keeps coming up with to keep SAX "new."
Peter Meyerson
SAX339