Poll: What Is Your Primary Flight Sim for SAX Flights?

Announcements for all Pilots and Officers.

What is your primary flight sim for your SAX flights?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Microsoft Flight Sim 10 - FSX
36%
Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 - FS9
64%

Total votes: 14

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Poll: What Is Your Primary Flight Sim for SAX Flights?

Post by Dave Blake »

I run this poll about once a year.

What do you use now as your primary flight sim for your SAX flights?
FS9 won the last poll 14 to 3 over FSX.

This poll will run for 30 days and you may only vote once. Your comments are always welcomed.

How about this? Tell us about your system that you use for flying:
- CPU type and speed
- Operating System
- Ram memory
- Video board
- And maybe your favorite add-ons... WX, ATC, etc.
Dave Blake - SAX212
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Poll: What Is Your Primary Flight Sim for SAX Flights?

Post by Dave Blake »

I'm still using FS9 as my primary SAX flight sim. I have FSX and it runs pretty good on my system but I'm still not ready yet to make the switch full-time to FSX.

My system:
AMD 2.8G X2 5600 AM2 Dual Core
4GB Ram 800Mhz DDR2
Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB video
Windows XP Home

Main Add-ons:
FSFK
Active Sky v6.5
FSNav
Ultimate Night Environment Pro
Dave Blake - SAX212
Rich
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Rich »

Yep, I'm still running FS9 too. I've done some research on FSX that still seems to have some framerate issues even with high-end PC's.

System:
Pentium 4 Hyperthread
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeFORCE 6400
WINDOW XP Pro

Add ons:
Fly Tampa Tampa Rebooted
Fly Tampa Miami
Ultimate Traffic

Everything runs very well on my old machine.
Rich in TPA
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

I would love to use FSX, but the frame rates are inconsistent and "jerky." I would definitely need to have a newer computer with Windows 7 in order to make it work. Then, adding FSACARS to the mix decreases performance to the point that using FSX is more of a frustration than an enjoyment.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

peterom wrote:I would love to use FSX, but the frame rates are inconsistent and "jerky." I would definitely need to have a newer computer with Windows 7 in order to make it work. Then, adding FSACARS to the mix decreases performance to the point that using FSX is more of a frustration than an enjoyment.
I'm guessing you mean FS Flight keeper since we don't use FSACARS anymore.
Dave Blake - SAX212
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

yup
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
kenyapilot
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by kenyapilot »

I have flown FSX now for about 2 years and have had no problem with frame rates. I would like to encourage our pilots to give it a try as the scenery is much more detailed and there are a lot of good aircraft available for FSX. One prime example is the PMDG 737 NGX 800/900 and the same for the expansion PMDG 737 NGX 600/700.

Roy Brent
SAX 680
LSZH Hub Chief
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

Just an FYI...I have tried FSX and had so much problems with it that I had to go to FS9. It is not what I would like, but the experience with FSX was too frustrating. Can't get a decent landing because of the start/stop frame rates during landing.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
kenyapilot
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by kenyapilot »

Sorry that you have had a bad experience with FSX. It does depend upon having a more recent computer with good memory and a good video card. There are some things that can be done which have the potential to improve the importance, one of which is making some modifications to the FSX.cfg file. Jesus Altuve has been able to work out a number of changes that will increase computer performance for FSX and has a utility on his website, www.venetubo.com/fsx.html, which will analyze your computer and then make changes to the FSX.cfg file which will improve performance. His site backs up the original FSX.cfg file so you can revert to what you started with quite easily. I know that his modifications have helped many sim pilots who had frustrations in using FSX. If you are interested in seeing if this will make any difference, give it a try. In the meantime, continue to enjoy flying with SunAir Express no matter which Flight Simulator program you use.

Hope the New Year is a great one for you!

Roy
SAX680
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

Thanks for the info.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
Al O'Brien
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Al O'Brien »

I have both FSX and FS9. I use FS9 for Sunair flights mainly because I have the PMDG 737 for it and also FS Navigator neither of which work in FSX. I use FS Navigator for doing flight plans and haven't found a substitute for it in FSX I have no issues with running FSX on my current computer other then it is just easier to use FS9 with my current add ons. MY current computer is a Sony Vaio notebook with a 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2720QM, Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1, 8174 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M [Display adapter, TOSHIBA MK6461GSY [Hard drive] (640.13 GB).
Al SAX 067
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

You might want to look into Flight Simulator Commander 9. It works on both FS9 and FSX. I'm able to keep FSC updated using Navigraph. I also use Ifly 737s which also work on both flight sims.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

I built my system in October 2010. The motherboard, CPU, RAM and video card are the same as Dave Vega. Dave and his son assisted with the overclocking. I am considering upgrading to the EVGA/Nvidia 560 video card.

I have not flown FS9 since May. All flying since then has been with FSX and most has been general aviation flying either within the Orbx PNW scenery area or in the Swiss and Austrian Alps.

I have the PMDG 737NGX and this system has no problem running this complex aircraft into any complex airport (FSDT - KDFW, KLAX, KJFK, LSZH; Aerosoft - EDDF, EDDM, etc.) with all sliders maxed and framerates > 25fps.

Intel Core i7-875K Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Unlocked Processor. Over-Clocked to 4GHz
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL ECO 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
2 - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 120mm CPU Cooler
CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 750W Power Supply
Case Fans: 3-200mm LED, 2-120mm LED, CPU cooler: 1-120mm LED

Attached are two shots of my PC with the "cockpit lights" off and on.
P1010306.JPG
P1010304.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
orac
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by orac »

Still chugging along with FS9. Generally, over the years, I've skipped every other version. FSX doesn't seem to offer anything really new over FS9 for what I use it for. Only add-on I have is USA Roads.

Running an i5-750 @ 2.66 GHz, Radeon 5770, 8GB RAM, Win7 Pro 64-bit, and a 21.3 inch 4:3 monitor @ 1600x1200.
I use CH yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant to control things.
__
Neil
Jim Tilley
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Jim Tilley »

I would like to use FSX, but the only game compatible with Windows 7 is the Gold version...The other two are not compatible. Also the Microsoft Force Feedback stick isn't compatible either...Who could figure Mircrosoft operating systems wouldn't be compatible with their software...
JT
Pylet
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Pylet »

I've stayed with FS-9 and just about every add-on scenery I could get my hands on. All of my PCs are 8 years old or older. I won't bore you with their ancient technology. :wink: I use Project Magenta software to run my cockpit and FS-9 for the scenery. All six PC's are networked together and online for realtime weather and of course ACARS to SAX home office. The MCP and CDU work just like the real animals. I use an overhead DLP projector for external front view. Gives me about a 48"x36" screen. The center console and overhead are just posters for effect. I would like to make them real and have the software and extra PCs to do it, it's just that the hardware is quite spendy. Takes me about 30 minutes to go from a cold dark pit to where I'm ready to request push and start. Anyway, it's a lot of fun. Following are a couple of youtube videos I made and some still pictures. Enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAeEtMJD ... ture=g-upl[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5ylAoabcU[/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Command Captain Lyle Kirgan
ATL Hub Chief
SAX 0272
B737NG Home Cockpit Builder
Jim Tilley
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Jim Tilley »

Unfortunately I still have to use FS9 because my Windows 7 operating system is not compatible with FSX...
JT