Poll: POC Aircraft Position Maps

Announcements for all Pilots and Officers.

Should the POC continue to record Flight Maps?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Yes
18%
Only Last 10 Flights
47%
No
35%

Total votes: 17

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Poll: POC Aircraft Position Maps

Post by Dave Blake »

Fellow Pilots:

The POC currently records your aircraft's position while flying. This route can be viewed after a flight by clicking on the GLOBE icon next to a flight log.
SAX Globe Map.jpg
This map also shows waypoints for a suggested flight plan.

If I remember correctly, this process recorded your position every 2 minutes. Each recorded position requires one data record. There is currently over 1 million record entries in the database.

Do you ever look at your maps? Should we continue to record this data? Should we only keep say the last 10 flights posted?

Your comments are welcomed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Blake - SAX212
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Poll: POC Aircraft Position Maps

Post by peterom »

I voted no on retaining the maps. This is for two reason:
1. I rarely access the map to view my flight. The flight stats are what I refer to if I have a question.
2. I assume they take up more storage space, which costs more to retain.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
scorpio
Captain
Captain

Post by scorpio »

I voted yes, because I think those maps are interesting information to look at.

However, if space is really a problem, I fully agree that they should not be retained, even not uploaded....

So, whatever you decide is fine by me (not being the most active pilot anyway, due to time constraints in my real life).

Have fun, that has been the most important element of our virtual airline since its beginnings!
Juergen
SAX011
airifr
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by airifr »

We can always see our flights maps in FSFK saved flights anyway, and position timer is 1 minute.

I think the map column so be replaced by landing rates.The GC golden stars should also disappear, as the landing rate column will show landing rates of last 10 flights and if a greaser everybody will clearly see in the column.
Maybe the greaser should be in different color, instead of black for non greaser the greaser could be golden color (to make like the golden star) or just stay black.

I think the landing rate column will make the POC reflect more of SAX pilots performance, with a quick glance at the last 10 flights...and it will make it closer to reality too.
Xavier
SAX789
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

One advantage of the POC "Globe" position map over the FSFK maps that are uploaded to the POC with flight logs is the ability to scroll and zoom in and out since the position map uses Google Map technology. Although, I believe the maps that FSFK creates but only available on your own computers using FSFK do have the ability to scroll and zoom.

Storage is really not an issue since the web host allows "unlimited" storage. However, excessive storage or file-count will affect the web host server's performance in a negative way.
Dave Blake - SAX212
Jim Tilley
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Jim Tilley »

The last 10 should be sufficient...
JT
RichW
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by RichW »

I would like to keep the position maps and the last ten seems like it will give us that information without too much of a performance hit on the database.
Richard Walls
SAX746 - ATL Hub
Rich
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Rich »

I agree that the last 10 should be more than enough.
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

What is the use of these "globe" maps on the table that shows a flight report? In other words, what are they used for? The only answer I've been able to gather is show the actual recorded path of travel for that flight. At one time we thought that we could use them to "evaluate" a flight report. What prompted that? Some pilots, for example, circle the destination airport to prevent from arriving too early. Some fly direct instead of using a realistic route of flight. But we are not evaluating flight reports. If you want to see a mapped representation of the "company" route, you can see that on the dispatch release "globe" map.

My 0.02.

Dave
sax702
orac
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by orac »

I vote yes to keep them. But save scalable images (.tif or .pdf?) of them rather than keeping all the raw data in the database. When I plan a flight, I often look at how others did when they flew the same route, which runways they took off and landed on compared to their block time, etc. They make for an interesting record.
__
Neil
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

I like last ten flights. If I have questions it is usually immediate.
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

The poll shows that the maps are useful to a majority of the pilots. So we will plan on keeping them.

However, we will set up the POC to only store the last 10 flights to maybe as much as the last 30 days of maps.

Thank you for your feedback and keep 'em flying! :D
Dave Blake - SAX212