Poll: Accelerated Time Mode Usage

Announcements for all Pilots and Officers.

Should pilots be allowed to use Accelerated Time Mode while flying?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:19 pm

No, not at all.
64%
Yes and with no restrictions.
5%
Yes but only up to x2 accelerated time speed.
5%
Yes but only up to x4 accelerated time speed.
27%
Yes but only up to x8 accelerated time speed.
No votes

Total votes: 22

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Poll: Accelerated Time Mode Usage

Post by Dave Blake »

The subject of using Accelerated Time Mode while flying SAX routes has been coming up.

The current SAX OPS manual states:
=============================
3.G. Accelerated Time Mode:
Using the flight simulator accelerated time mode is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED as its use does not align with the SunAir Express Virtual Airline realism theme. Pilots may not use accelerated time during takeoff/climb-out and descent/approach. Accelerated time may only be used when on the ground or at level cruise. However, again, its use while in flight is highly discouraged. If you feel that the only way you can build flight hours is to use accelerated time then you may wish to look to some other virtual airline for employment.
=============================

How do you feel about this, should SAX pilots be allowed to use accelerated time mode? Do you think it is fair that some pilots fly an 8 hour scheduled flight using accelerated time in less then 3 hours of real time when you don't use accelerated time mode?

I know not everyone has 8 hours or more to devote to some of the long-haul flights. Although, many will setup a flight, reach cruising altitude and just let the auto-pilot take it from there until it is time to descend. If you fly the long-haul flights, how do you do it?
Dave Blake - SAX212
Bob4th
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Poll: Accelerated Time Mode Usage

Post by Bob4th »

Dave and others,

I prefer to be in attendance for all phases of flight. Hence, I use accelerated time (only up to 4x) in order to accommodate this. My general rule of thumb is that I should be able to complete a flight in an afternoon or evening. So, if I have a five hour flight, I will probably fly the cruise portion in 2x. I will probably cruise transoceanic flights in 4x. Any flight that is less than two hours, I will do in 1x. Also, any acceleration beyond 4x (8x and up) exists in the realm of Jean-Luc Picard and James Tiberius Kirk.

By using the accelerated time feature, I can be on the flight deck for the entire time and manage the step-climb appropriately. Also, and this has happened, if I encounter some unusually bad weather or some unusual circumstance, I can make any necessary adjustments to my flight plan. I can not do any of this when I have to "set it and forget it" because of the limitation of 1x time.

I do not believe that accelerated time should be used in any other part of the flight than the cruise portion.

Hope this is helpful.

Bob Jones
SAX464
-- Bob Jones
-- Make a fast friend...Adopt a Greyhound!
-- visit http://www.greyhoundadoption.org
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

Here's another question to the pilots:
Would you continue to fly for SunAir Express if you couldn't use accelerated time mode?
Dave Blake - SAX212
Al O'Brien
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Al O'Brien »

I usually only fly the 2 hour and under flights because 2x and up is discouraged by sunair, and to simulate a long boring flight would not be enjoyable for me. I don't see the difference between putting the sim in autopilot for 4 hours and going to bed and putting the computer in 4x mode and standing by for 1 hour. I enjoy flying for Sunair and willlingly abide by the rules, but it would not bother me if we changed this one.
Al Sax067
Jim Tilley
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Jim Tilley »

Hi guys...I never use accelerated time when I'm flying. If SunAir is trying to maintain realism in our flights, I don't think it should ever be used. If you don't have the time for a flight, postpone it until you do. Thanks...jt
JT
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

A quote from by Jim Swanson in his early SAX manual: ""All of this may look complicated, but we are striving for realism."
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
RichW
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by RichW »

I don't think accelerated time should be allowed for any flight less the 2 or maybe 3 hours Blk-Blk. I rarely fly flights more than 3 hours for this very reason and most of my 8+ hour flights are overnighters.

It really shouldn't be about building hours and if that's the goal I agree that this is not the right VA for you. However, I don't see any difference between using accelerated time and putting the flight on autopilot, going to bed or out for the day and then coming back in time for descent. How many of you really sit and monitor an entire 12 hour flight?

Rich
Last edited by RichW on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Walls
SAX746 - ATL Hub
Bob4th
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Bob4th »

In answer to question 2, I'll probably stick with SunAir Express. After all, I've been doing this for 15 years, why stop now.

Let me add this: my philosophy is to do what I can to enable procedural realism. That is, of course, a trade off in that accelerated time does not fit a rigidly realistic goal. However, neither does sleeping while the plane flies. I would limit myself to flights of less than two hours, too. However, then I'd never get to fly some of the larger aircraft in our fleet.

I don't really worry about all this that much since I never fly online and, in truth, this isn't my job.

Bob Jones
SAX 464
-- Bob Jones
-- Make a fast friend...Adopt a Greyhound!
-- visit http://www.greyhoundadoption.org
jww12112
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by jww12112 »

I have flown many a B777, B747, and B767 translanitc flights. Love it, and will continue to do so. I enjoy flying the big iron. When I started flying for SunAir I had used the flight accelerator a couple of times, (like 3-to 4 times). When one of the SunAir officers contacted me regarding the accel. time shown in my logs I was informed, using this method was " highly not recommended", due the element of realism of which the airline to trying to implement. Understood. Since then I have not used the accelerated time option. I understand the standard SunAir has set and wish to abide by it. There is also something to be said for these hours which are logged in the long tube flights, or any flight for that matter. Again it comes down to the element of realism. A flight from KSTL to KSAN takes around 3.5 hours (which I have flown ( as a passenger) many, many times, I have family in Mission Bay) in true reality and so and when flying for SunAir it should take the same amount of time, should we adhere to a virtual realistic theme as much as possible. I believe if we allow accelerated time (which is UNREALISTIC) then any flight time posted will loose some of its value. Like taking short cuts to get to the finish line faster. The hours posted should reflect actual hours flown in real time. These hours are, I guess in my opinion, earned. I have no problem flying using real time. In fact to adhere to virtual relism there should be no other option. When I had used some accelerated time before and had found out that other pilots where logging actual real time hours for thier long tube flights I had gained an appreciation for thier logged flights knowing how much TIME was put forth into thier achiements and long haul flights. When I fly a long route, I usually monitor it throughout the day, like with some of the 8 to 12 hours flights I like to do, and make any adjustments I can, say altitude adjustments to help find better wind or weather conditions. I may not be able to get back to my computer for an hour or two maybe four or five, but I am still flying in actual real time. Nothing fake about it. These planes we fly move just as they do in our real world, at least in most respects. I look at it this way, pilots are not allowed to fly more than eight hours during any flight, if I remember my FARs correctly, its been some time since my nose has been in the books, I can fly my eight hours then turn my airplane over to the relieving flight crew to fly the rest of the journey, or have them fly the cruise and I'll take care of the first and last two hours of the flight. Whatever........So setting your auto pilot to cruise control can be sort of your relief crew taking over. I plan to fly for SunAir whatever it or its officers choose to ammend to its policies and procedures regarding this issue or any other. Regardless if accelerated time is allowed, I will always fly my routes in real time. It gives my logs validity and integrity.

Kind regards to my fellow pilots
and company officers,

Jeffro
SAX766
airifr
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by airifr »

I dont use accelerated time, and never will, whether it is a 1h flight or 14h flight.
Accelerated time makes no sense.
VA is to reflect REAL as much as possible, so why take the REALISM away by using 2X 4X or whateverX ?...and...airline pilots dont have a switch in the cockpit to fast forward the flight whenever it suits or chants to them or to make their passengers arrive earlier.
There's no but..or if.., Accelerated Time shouldnt be used at SAX.

Pilots who want do long hauls but dont have the time cuz family work or anything, should organize to fit those long hauls in their life :D
Xavier
SAX789
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

I know that several pilots use third party software that allows the "co-pilot" to take over the flight deck duties. This is a realistic option.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
Dave. S
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave. S »

This is a difficult one, personally i never use accelerated time,but then the majority of my flights are short haul,& when i do go long haul i admit i usually plan 2 do them when i,m gonna be sleeping or away fom p.c. Like many of us, i,ll get 2 cruise,set a pause & then land,if possible checking every so often, none of us can be expected 2 watch our flights block 2 block every single time, as its been said, its not our job, but i will ask this, if a 10 hour flight was accelerated x2 x4, would we all still be there for every minute? i doubt it. Yes we should all understand that some of us dont have as much time on our hands as others 2 enjoy what we do,but i do get the feeling that most of our pilots try 2 keep it as real as they can,i think maybe x2 at cruise level could be acceptable, no more & not before cruise level
Dave SAX743
orac
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by orac »

Last year I changed from flying the 747, where I was lucky to find time for one flight a month, back to flying the 737 (SFO hub), where I can much more easily fly 4 or even 6 flights a month. I wish I had the time to keep flying the 747, but I don't.

So, while I don't personally use acceleration, I understand the possible need/desire for others to do so. It doesn't bother me that others might be using it. Therefore, I think it should continue to be allowed without restrictions while at the same time continuing to be HIGHLY DISCOURAGED.
_
Neil
kenyapilot
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by kenyapilot »

I don't think that accelerated time should ever be used. This defeats the idea of having a realistic airline. I have not used it and have flown lots of long distance flights. These just require planning as to when you can devote the amount of time neccessary. Like many others, I take off, climb to cruise altitude and then monitor the flight at various times throughout the flight until time for descent. Failure to monitor can sometimes result in surprises!

Roy
SAX 680
Dave. S
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave. S »

What was the point of having a poll & then allowing acceleration before poll ends ?? Looked like majority was against it anyway, i dont understand that one ??
Dave SAX743
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

Dave. S wrote:What was the point of having a poll & then allowing acceleration before poll ends ?? Looked like majority was against it anyway, i dont understand that one ??
Dave,
I did not wait for the poll to end since enough had already voted and voiced an opinion which told me what I needed to know.

Did you receive the email I send to everyone last Tuesday - 27Jul2010? It explained why I thought it was not necessary to totally ban the use of accelerated time for now. If you did not receive the email let me know and I will send it to you again.

Lets see how the compromise of a x4 maximum works before we totally ban "warp speed", OK?
Dave Blake - SAX212
chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by chriszdc »

I have flown for various VAs. All have allowed time acceleration in some form. Most were of the variety of 'not recommended' with a restriction of - if time acceleration is used, it may only be used up to 4x in cruise flight. Climb and descent/approach not authorized. I've been here 15yrs or so, so not going anywhere :mrgreen:
Command Captain Chris Saunders
SAX 411
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

Dave. S wrote:What was the point of having a poll & then allowing acceleration before poll ends ?? Looked like majority was against it anyway, i dont understand that one ??
Dave SAX743: You were right. I made a mistake and I have corrected it. I am sorry.
Dave Blake - SAX212