iMac & Bootcamp

Do you know something about FSX, or an aircraft, panel, scenery or an add-on for it? Post information and links about them here.
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

iMac & Bootcamp

Post by peterom »

Because of my computer crashing about a month ago, I needed to purchase a new computer. My new computer is a 27" iMac and I used Bootcamp to set up FSX. If anyone has any questions (or needs help) about the use of Bootcamp to partition an Apple computer, let me know. With FSX, I am able to use Active Sky Next & FSX and get a range of 15 - 40 fps without any of the "stuttering" I used to get on my old PC. This includes my flying a 767 into KTPA in a very bumpy thunderstorm...very realistic.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
M Turek
Captain
Captain

Re: iMac & Bootcamp

Post by M Turek »

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro, quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA graphics chip and I was wanting to use Boot Camp to boot to a Windows install. I want to use boot camp because I want to use all the hardware on the machine to run Windows, not some of the hardware running OSX and then a virtual machine of Windows.

My question then is how difficult is it to set up a install of Windows.

I know how to partition the hard drive, but then could I just boot to a USB Boot disk and install Windows like normal?

What are the keys to do that?

Maybe we could get a discussion going here about that??

Thanks!
Matt 756
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

My experience with Bootcamp has been very good. I went online and downloaded the software and instructions. Bootcamp is what you would use to partition the hard drive. My only suggestion is when I had Bootcamp partition the hard drive, I did almost a 50/50 split between the Windows Drive and Mac Drive. If I had to do it over again, I would probably do a 75% partition for the Windows partition since I don't use the Mac portion much. I then loaded Windows and all my other software. I didn't have any problems come up. However, I did load Windows 7 Professional and not Windows 8 (since there were problems with 8 at that time). I don't know how my FSX will run if I upgrade to Windows 10. I have heard about some problems with 10. I am getting good frame rates with my iMac. Depending on the weather being generated (using ASN), I get anywhere from 23 to 65 fps (using PMDG 737-800 aircraft). Also, make sure you load all Windows software as "run as Administrator" since that is needed in order to make sure all software is loaded correctly. Let me know if you have any questions. If you can not find the Bootcamp instructions, let me know and I can email them to you.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

I also forgot to mention that I am not sure about using a USB boot drive to load the software. I loaded all my software using the original disks (I bought a Mac disk drive to do that). In the past, I have had to reregister some of my software when I copied some software from an old computer to an external hard drive and then onto a new computer.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
M Turek
Captain
Captain

Post by M Turek »

Thanks for the quick response. I have a copy of Windows 8 on a flash drive that I would probably try and use to install Windows. Thats good advice to do more than a 50/50 split of the drive.

On my desktop, i use windows 10 and FSX Steam Edition and have had no problems at all.