Help With Flying On VATSIM

Questions and comments about using VATSIM, Sqawkbox, VRoute, ServInfo or VAT-Spy
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Help With Flying On VATSIM

Postby Dave Blake » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:17 pm

If any SunAir Express pilots have any questions or needs some help getting started flying on VATSIM just post a message here.

SunAir Express has 2 pilots that would be happy to help you out get started with VATSIM: Marty Becker - SAX054 and Steve Monk - SAX745.
Last edited by Dave Blake on Tue May 08, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Blake - SAX212

Pylet
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Pylet » Sat May 05, 2007 11:33 am

Don't forget about Command Captain Chris Saunders, SAX411, whom is not only a VATSIM ATC but a real life ATC for ZDC.
Command Captain Lyle Kirgan
ATL Hub Chief
SAX 0272
B737NG Home Cockpit Builder

Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Marty_Becker » Mon May 07, 2007 10:20 am

I wonder if there is any interest for some online ATC training sessions? FSHost and Teamspeak could be used to help low-time/no-time VATSIM pilots get some experience "locally" before venturing onto VATSIM. To my knowledge, VATUSA does not have any type of pilot training like some of the European VATSIM regions/divisions have. FS-Navigator can be used as an ATC radar client. Short flights can be conducted that focus on radio phraseology, clearances, SIDs, STARs, vectoring, etc. Unlike being on VATSIM, we could stop at any point, discuss situations, questions/problems, then continues with the training flight.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD

RichW
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Help With Flying On VATSIM

Postby RichW » Wed May 19, 2010 11:38 am

VATSIM doesn't have a pilot training program but elements of the old Pilot Resource Center (PRC) is still available via this link: http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/

vZLA also offers a pilot certification program, visit this link: http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/Home

It really is fun to fly with live ATC. I jumped on last night and flew from KRNO to KSFO. RNO Approach, ZOA, SFO Approach and SFO Tower were all open.

Rich
Richard Walls
SAX746 - ATL Hub

shackler781
Captain
Captain

Postby shackler781 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Heeeeeelp! So. Completely. LOST! I signed up for VATSIM and got my credentials. I downloaded Squawkbox, ran FSX, and opened SB from the dropdown in FSX. First, I tried connecting to a server, but there were no servers in the drop down. I found some IP addresses and filled the rest of the form out and hit conenct, but Squawkbox didn't see FSX running. I haven't found any good, concise instructions on connecting to VATSIM with SB, so was wondering if you guys had insight. Also, a stupid question: are the frequencies I use the same as are in the airport info inside FSX? Do I tune frequencies directly in FSX? I have been through many forums and am a bit lost. Many thanks!!!

:x
Shawn Hackler
SAX781

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Dave Blake » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 pm

shackler781 wrote:Heeeeeelp! So. Completely. LOST! I signed up for VATSIM and got my credentials. I downloaded Squawkbox, ran FSX, and opened SB from the dropdown in FSX. First, I tried connecting to a server, but there were no servers in the drop down. I found some IP addresses and filled the rest of the form out and hit conenct, but Squawkbox didn't see FSX running. I haven't found any good, concise instructions on connecting to VATSIM with SB, so was wondering if you guys had insight. Also, a stupid question: are the frequencies I use the same as are in the airport info inside FSX? Do I tune frequencies directly in FSX? I have been through many forums and am a bit lost. Many thanks!!!

:x

This video on YouTube might help getting SquawkBox working. And if you are using a router you may need to open up these ports. TCP port 6809 and UDP port 3290

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pofnsM64Q5g[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/pofnsM64Q5g
Dave Blake - SAX212

shackler781
Captain
Captain

Postby shackler781 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Logged in after work and all worked as it should. Did a VATSIM flight KMIA to KTPA. AWESOME! What a cool feature. I am a licensed pilot and found this to be great practice and TONS of fun. Thanks for the vid!!! You guys are great! Looking forward to the shared-cockpit this weekend. 8)
Shawn Hackler
SAX781

Return to “VATSIM / Squawkbox / VRoute / ServInfo / VAT-Spy”